Murrieta Family Law Firm Temecula Divorce Attorney
Experience, Expertise, Excellence

Get a Restraining Order in Riverside County | Singleton Smith Law

Obtaining a restraining order can be an effective method of removing yourself from the presence of an abusive family member, or from removing them from your presence. How to get a restraining order, however, is not common knowledge. What follows is how you can get a restraining order in Murrieta County after being harmed by domestic violence, and what that restraining order can do.

Reminder: If you or someone you know is in immediate physical danger, you should call 911 if it is safe to do so before doing anything else. Never do anything that jeopardizes your health and safety.

Reasons to Get a Restraining Order

In Murrieta County, a restraining order can be issued following:

  • Physical assault and battery
  • Injury through recklessness
  • Sexual abuse or rape
  • Convincing and aggressive threats
  • Intimidating behavior, such as stalking

If you have been impacted by any of the aforementioned abuse or any other form of intentional harm, a restraining order will likely be granted and upheld by the court. Riverside County actually allows you to file for a restraining order online, which can be accessed by clicking here. You can also go directly to a local courthouse to create a petition.

Hemet Courthouse contact information:

What a Restraining Order Can Do 

If the police are summoned to your residence for a domestic disturbance, you can tell the responding officer that you would like to make an emergency or temporary restraining order as well. Do not be afraid to speak up when your health is jeopardized.

A restraining order, temporary or permanent, can order the restrained individual to:

  • Stay out of contact with you, your family, your pets, and other close acquaintances
  • Maintain a minimum distance from your home, workplace, and other important locations
  • Move into a different domicile
  • Surrender firearms while the domestic violence case is pending, or even longer
  • Pay any court-ordered payments, such as child support
  • Return property removed or stolen from you

If you need additional help filing for a restraining order, or legal guidance about what to do after the order is granted, contact Singleton Smith Law Offices and our Murrieta family law attorneys. Initial consultations with our team are FREE.